Thursday 1 August 2013

Cover Art

I checked about 180 cover illustrations and found that every one involved a girl, mostly an underdressed girl, a few males as props only, and wondered why. The answer was obvious really. These were designed to attract men and I seem to remember it worked. Personally, I always enjoyed a good Carter Brown, whose early covers were photographs of women who lacked the sophistication of the later drawn models. Come-hither looks were the standard the artists worked to but there are a lot of girls fainting an caught by a strong silent type. I liked the covers where the girl was clearly the protagonist in the story, holding a gun and often smoking at the same time, clearly multitasking. Here are some more.

Re the girl sitting on the piano - a girl sat on my drums one time. She fell off them, and that's how it should be. Don't touch a person's musical instrument, ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment