Saturday 13 February 2016

LIZA PALMER



 
 
I wasn't familiar with Liza Palmer and I picked up the Field Guide because I'd run out of things to read. I'll be picking up more of her books because I simply enjoyed them.
It may be a sign of age that these two affected me as much as they did. Palmer describes emotion brilliantly and as a consequence I got drawn into the stories, which are about thirty-something girls facing choices to do with love and relationships, and, in one case, death of a parent.. The two girls she writes about here are insecure as the result of unsatisfactory or previously terminated relationships where commitment (hers or theirs) was an issue.
I note a reviewer who described her work, if I remember rightly, as haute romance, and that's not a bad description. Definitely romantic but definitely moving. The other thing I like is the way she brings in the unexpected, especially in More Like Her. Nice twists and very well written. Recommended, especially if you like a good cry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment